Saturday, June 9, 2012

GeoCache Merit Badge

My friend Brad asked if I could assist them in Scouts by being a Merit Badge Councilor for GeoCaching. I told him sure and went to the required meetings.  Today, I ran up to Lodgepole Camp Ground up Daniels Canyon to teach the scouts what GeoCaching was and what is required to receive their merit badge. It was a great day and I enjoyed being in the mountains (gotta get out more). After explaining what geocaching was, I had the boys take my two GPS units and go find three caches up in the area. After finding the first one, I could not keep up with them as they ran to the next cache about .14 miles away - thru the trees.Good thing Jordon Farr (one of the scout masters) could keep up. I walked back to camp with the other three scout leaders.

I am going to have the scouts adopt my cache that is by our Church and follow the logs for at least 30 days so they can get the required credit. After the scouts graduate and move on the younger scouts will continue to monitor this cache. I will keep tabs on it but let them maintain it. It is really great to see others take an interest in this sport.

Breakfast time
Enough said
Scout Camp (I remember when I was in scouts...)
Brad relaxing in the sun
Ouch, my ankle!

No comments:

Post a Comment