Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tabiona Loop

I needed a break from Utah Valley and "people" so I decided to take a ride up through Woodland over Wolf Creek Pass down into Tabiona then along Strawberry Reservoir and back home. It was a perfect day for a ride. I wasn't in the mood to geocache but did pick up a few. I stopped at the trail head and then headed up to Wolf Creek pass. I forgot how steep the road was but prior to the reaching the summit I pulled off into a favorite play area when I used to snowmobile. This meadow was fun and I remember the time an old friend, John, called me on the radio and asked me to come and help him get Ron W. out. I knew it was really bad when he called back and told me to bring my saw. Ron was riding my second sled but only damaged the windshield (when he flew into a tree). Those were fun times. 
Looking West

At the summit it was a nice 68 degrees. I drove around Wolf Creek campground to the south and went to the cliffs to grab a cache.

The cache took a bit to find as my GPS was bouncing all over the place. I finally found the cache and took a TB out of it. A family had camped up here and someone had left a sleeping bag. I wonder if they want it back?

I enjoy coming up to this ridge because Heart Lake is beautiful from up here.
Heart Lake
Heading back to highway 35, I ran into tons of sheep. And what do you know, another white dog with this herd. Maybe there's something to having a dog that blends with the sheep.

I was going to stop at my cache down by Phelps Brooks trail but there were more sheep and I didn't want to fight the dogs. I headed to Hanna, then to Tabiona and back to highway 40. I ran into construction and it seemed that people just could not drive slow. Some idiot was passing cars even though we had been reduced to one lane. What a moron.
The truck in front of the tanker was passing everyone, till the cop slowed him down

At the top of the summit, I stopped at Daniels Lodge and had lunch. I always enjoy stopping here to relax or eat. Their ribs are some of the best in the State.
I'm glad I took this trip. It was well worth the ride and scenery was great. Below are a few more pictures.
Sign at Wolf Creek trail head
A group of riders stopped and had lunch at Daniels

No comments:

Post a Comment