Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Oak Creek campground

Andrew (my son) had two weeks off before school started and wanted to go camping. I had been planning a trip to Oak Creek campground (by Oak City) to see if I wanted to pull my trailer down there next month prior to the UTAG event in Delta. I decided to take him with me so we packed everything into the truck and headed down.

Going down, I had second thoughts about leaving the trailer home. It's hot down by Delta and this canyon (Oak Creek) is not high enough in elevation (about 5,700').  It's a pretty canyon but hot in the summer time. After looking at several camping spots we picked one we thought would be out of the sun. It was.... kind of. We were the only ones camping here except the camp host so it was nice and quiet.

I decided to take a power nap and Andrew started reading a book. All of a sudden, Andrew said, "Dad, there's a bear over there". It is unbelievable how fast the human body can move. I jumped up out of the cot and was moving towards my truck fully awake. Andrew said the "bear" was across the stream. As I looked, I saw the black animal and noticed an orange tag on its ear. I thought that was strange. Upon closer looked, I told Andrew he needs to go back to school and learn about animals again. That black animal was a cow!!! I ribbed him about it all night, but boy, he had me going for a moment.

The rest of the camp out was uneventful but it was nice when the sun and the heat finally went away. I enjoyed the night except when the battery died and my CPAP machine turned off. It was a long night. All in all it was nice to get away with my son, but next time, we are taking the trailer. I don't think I will come here again. My trailer would be a tight fit in this campground and the elevation just isn't high enough. But it is a nice spot for tenting as long as you avoid the "bears".
Andrew setting up tent
One of our visitors
Relaxing after setting up camp
Andrew's "Bear"
"Bear cubs"
Camp spot

No comments:

Post a Comment