Monday, April 9, 2012

Little Moab again

A few weeks ago, Jeff B. asked Ken C and I if we wanted to go for another ride. Since the snow has not completely melted from the mountains we decided to head out to the west desert. I suggested the Little Moab area since I thought it would be less crowded than 5-mile. I forgot that it was Easter weekend.
West end, Ron's Camp (left)
 When we got out there we counted no fewer than 100 trailers camped from one end to the other. It wasn't as bad as Cherry Creek (Little Sahara) last year but close. We parked on the west end of Little Moab where I usually camp (but just north). UP&L is putting a power line between Mona and Tooele and they have towers all over the place. We parked and unloaded by one of the structures. As we were unloading, Ron Adams (Cheaters24) came over and chatted. He had pulled his trailer out last Wednesday and was out there with some "drinking" buddies.
Jeff Bowles

Ken and Jeff had never been to Nutty Putty cave before so I took them the two miles north and showed them where John Jones was entombed. I remember being at the Command Center when John Jones was stuck in the cave. It was a sad day when he was not able to be rescued. After Nutty Putty, we headed north down the hill where I placed one of three caches. The rocks around the area were orange and I thought it looked pretty cool. We then headed back up the hill and south to 12-mile pass which is about 10 miles west of Little Moab area.

We went up Broad Canyon then through the gate that heads back northwest and over into 12-mile. We came right into a camp that was parked at the bottom of the hill. That was kind of weird but we went to the next canyon and followed it to the end. We had lunch and then headed south where I placed two more caches. My last cache was placed on the north side of Cedar Knolles. We then headed back to the Little Moab area and watched a few minutes to see if any vehicles would go over the rocks. They didn't so we loaded up and headed home. What a great day. It was 27 degrees when I woke up and 65 degrees when we left Little Moab. So much fun!
Little Moab (looking east)
Ken Cluff "grandpa"
Ken taking a power nap
Jeff enjoying the shade
Ken and Jeff
Jeff (standing) and Ken. Looking north towards Lewis Peak
By "Sherwood Forest" geo-cache

No comments:

Post a Comment